Wednesday, December 31, 2008

the worst year ever, in review

I decided to do a year in review because I have nothing to do at work and a lot of time to sit here, doing nothing.

At the beginning of the year, I had high hopes for 2008. I was on tour with the ASC and having a great time. I got to go to some places that I would never, ever want to go to again (Fairmont, WV and that horrible, smelly place in Illinois) and a few places that I think of literally every single day of my life (Sarasota and the Florida Keys). Let me tell ya, there is nothing like a breezy 85 degrees in the beginning of February at night right next to the ocean. Oh my God. I miss Islamorada SO MUCH!!!

In March we went to Minneapolis for a couple of days and VA Beach (which was a nice area although it wasn't warm enough to GO to the beach) and our last stop on tour was the greatest hotel ever, in Rockville, MD. Chris and I went to DC for a day and that night I started watching Jon and Kate Plus 8. I realize this is a stupid MILESTONE, but I like the kids. They're funny. The biggest thing, of course, to happen in March, was at 12:01am on the 28th, right after Chris's birthday ended, when he proposed to me. The next day we went running, picked out a ring and then had to wait for a week before we could tell anyone, because the ring was getting resized (I have tiny fingers). I did, however, tell my friend Ben, and he was SO EFFING EXCITED!!!

In April we opened in residence at the theatre performing The Taming of the Shrew, The Merchant of Venice and Henry V. I was also, finally, able to tell everyone that we were engaged and that was great fun for me. I LOVED telling people. It was one of the most exciting things that has ever happened to me. NOW it's all old news... but THEN it was AWESOME! :) I remember April was a very environmentally-aware month for everyone in the world. "Being green" was HUGE and I wish that the economical mess wouldn't have trumped that state of mind.

In May I watched a lot of American Idol, performed 8 shows a week, went to Ohio for, like, 1 day, and went to Kings Dominion amusement park (which was fun because of the water park. The roller coasters were only so-so).

We closed our shows on June 15th and I had to say goodbye to many wonderful people (LIKE RAFFI!!!!). The next day Chris and I moved into our own apartment where we will stay until... March. At least, I guess. The apartment is super cute, despite having no water or counter space in the kitchen and limited hot water in the bathroom. I also started working in the box office here at the theatre to try and save some money for... you know... my life.

In July I started getting depressed over working in the box office. I eventually realized it was a mixture of being sad that my troupe was no longer together and because I was too close to the performing without doing it myself. I never got to go anywhere because I worked all day and there was nothing to do in Staunton. The entire summer was not a good time for me.

HOWEVER, it was over the summer that I ended up losing 15 pounds. I couldn't believe it because my activity level had decreased so much since my shows closed. A mixture of eating TONS of fiber (usually around 40 grams a day), cutting my sugar waaaaay back (giving up regular pop) and upping the amount of protein I was eating. All my pants stopped fitting so I kept having to buy new pants, which was totally annoying.

October was my birthday month and I threw a huge party for Halloween. It was great and October was relatively painless.

November started out good, with the Obama win, but it gradually fell apart, with my dad getting laid off from work and the theatre telling us they might not be able to make payroll for the last paycheck of the month. December was worse: the theatre laid off 5 full time positions (including mine... I got dropped to part time), dropped all but 2 equity contracts (including Chris's) and is now begging the world for $200,000 by January 31st... or else. Or else WHAT, I'm not exactly sure, but I can't assume it's a good thing. So, you know, if you have any extra money and don't want me and Chris to be completely jobless as of February 1st, please consider donating to the ASC. They do some good stuff. And if you want an example of HOW GOOD, watch this video.

The good thing in December was getting to perform the pre-show for Santaland Diaries with my friend, Chris Johnston. We played 5 songs, 3 from Sufjan Stevens' Christmas album ("Hey Guys! It's Christmas time!", "Come on, Let's Boogey to the Elf Dance!", and "Get Behind Me, Santa!") one called "Have Yourself a Bitter Little Christmas" by David Ford and "The Hat" by Ingrid Michaelson. My guitar playing has improved so much that I was able to accompany myself at a regional theatre with only one other person. I've never had a lesson and have only owned the guitar for 2 years! We had so much fun doing this show and even though I got hella sick at the end of the run, it was some of the best music I've ever done.

Now it's December 31st and there are only 8 hours left in the year. I just found out my Uncle Rudy died today, as if the year couldn't haven't gotten any worse. At the end of 2007 I was very sad to see it go... but 2007 was a great year. 2008 has sucked. MOST of the year was bad. I haven't been more excited to see a new year in a long time, if ever. If nothing else, it can't be much worse. BRING IT ON, 2009!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lave,
It's always good to have a bad year once in awhile to remind you that the mediocre years are in fact GREAT. It's better if a year is boring.

The 24 worst months of my life included three of my relatives dying, two cats dying, and the douchebag screwing me over. However, I realize now that life sucks a lot most of the time but the little things make it AMAZING. So, even though those 24 months sucked, they also brought my family closer together, I realized who was really important to me, I got two new kittens, and I realized hot men could actually find me attractive.

The moral of the story....if life was easy, it would be SO boring. :)

Happy New Year, Lave!