Sunday, December 07, 2008

so sleepy at 3pm

The summer/fall season is closing right now at the theatre. Well, it was a good run. All the shows were popular and good so great job, everyone! Next week is the beginning of the madness. Well, okay, next week is actually going to be okay but the two weeks after that are going to be AWFUL. Two people are going on vacation for two weeks and Johnston and I won't be available from 4-5 any day because of Santaland. We are ridiculously short staffed for this month. And THEN... Johnston's last day is the 23rd and Emily will be gone the day before and after Christmas. It will be the 3 full time people working ONLY! I think we have something like 12 hour days for that week. It is not going to be fun at all. My only salvation will be getting to do this preshow.

So, speaking of the preshow, it will be fun for me. Today I was using Alyssa's guitar (it's a smaller guitar and I wanted to get a feel for it to see if I should get a short-scale guitar, too) and on the last song my capo was pulling the strings down (which I didn't see until, like, the end) and we were waaaaaay off tune. It sounded so bad. Luckily, this was just a dress rehearsal so it's not like it really mattered, but I still don't like that. I had been using Chris's guitar, which is a JUMBO guitar, and it has been hard for me to reach the end of the neck, really heavy and it also makes my right arm go numb from sitting over it. My guitar is better for me, but it's been here at our apartment and it's too cold to walk it down to the theatre. I'll be taking it down there before Tuesday of course, but I still think I might need a 3/4 length or something. I think that's why I play all my songs on the 3rd fret-- because it's hard for me to REACH the normal positions. I've been looking more and more at the Daisy Rock guitars online. I'm not in the market to buy a new guitar any time soon, but when I am, I really think I'd like to get a Daisy Rock. The body and neck are a lot thinner so they're easier for people with small hands to play. PLUS, they come in great colors and/or designs and one of the models comes with DECALS!!!! You know I love decals.

Anyway, again, yes, Santaland will be fun. Playing music has been the only thing to really get my mind off of some troubling events happening lately. Most of our songs sound really good and the ones that aren't really good are still good (except when the capo is pulling down on the strings. Then it's just... not good). I have a lot of fun with Johnston and I have more fun with the fact that I don't really have to censor myself with the preshow because nothing I say will be worse than what is already written in to the real script. My Chris told me he's really impressed with how much I've improved and how effortlessly I am able to sing while playing. I only received that guitar 2 years ago, I've never had a lesson and here I am, accompanying myself at a regional theatre. I mean, I'm no Chris JOHNSTON, but I'm doing alright. :)

So, on Thursday my dad wrote my siblings and I to tell us he got laid off. This is not good. My dad can't just get a job anywhere. He's got a bad heart condition (his first surgery was in his 20s and he's had many since then) so it's not like he can be doing any kind of lifting or being on his feet all day. Plus, you know, he's 56 years old... and then is the fact that there are no jobs anywhere to begin with. Ugh... it's really not good. Chris is really upset about it because he thinks my dad is like the nicest guy ever. My mom cried. I don't want them to move. I really love Huron and they have such a nice view. My dad really likes being able to watch the Lake from our living room. You know how some people are happy to be laid off because they can go on vacation or whatever? We're not those people. It's not good.

Times are tough. It's cold outside. I'd actually go back to the theatre and watch the end of Richard if it weren't so cold. Last night I finally watched the beginning of Close Encounters and I have so many unanswered questions. That kid is really adorable, though. That must be why the aliens abducted him.

I'm really in to the most recent Death Cab for Cutie album. I'm also really in to the idea that John Lennon, George Harrison, John Entwistle and Keith Moon play as "The Whotles" in Heaven.

1 comment:

bethany said...

I am now also into the whotles idea. thanks.