Monday, December 15, 2008

i feel like i'm working summer stock

Thankfully, I was able to take over Emily's job in the costume shop. This probably sucks for Jenny because now she'll be re-training someone for everything, but I have never minded a costume shop. A long, long time ago I worked in the one at Kent. I promptly forgot everything I learned as soon as I left, but I relearned it a year later when I worked, for a week, mainly in the Huron Playhouse costume shop. I even made a whole pair of pants in there. They were Dan's in this weird Indian dance in Annie Get Your Gun and one night they totally split down the middle. I don't know if this was my fault, his, or both of ours, but it sure was funny. I took a long hiatus from costuming, but I was one of 2 costume people on our tour last year. Costuming and Props are the two worst jobs on tour and I had both of them. Both jobs involved a lot of cleaning up after other people and not knowing things were broken until <2 hours before a show starts.

So, I'm back, costume world. I can listen to music in the shop and if I had any hobbies anymore I could do those, too. I was trying to relearn how to use a sewing machine last night. After 6 or so attempts, I finally gave up. I think I will like the costume shop way better than the box office. What I already do not like is having to work a 12 hour day to make up the pay cut I got. I did laundry from 10:30-12, then I worked in the box office from 12-4, then I had Santaland from 4-5, then I went home for an hour and ate a microwaved Weight Watchers "Smart Ones" and then I went back from 6:30-11 to do more laundry. This was just yesterday. What is worse about this day is that yesterday was supposed to be my day off. Today I am ACTUALLY taking the day off. Hooray. I didn't sleep very well last night, but at least I have no further responsibilities. My other day off this week was supposed to be Friday but I'm already working in the box office from 6-9:30 and I'll probably need to come in before Santaland to do laundry.

I don't have insurance anymore so I guess I better not get sick. I never even got to use my dental insurance. I'm sure, based on how things have been going, that now I will get sick AND chip a tooth or something.

Chris is currently at an audition at the Barter Theatre. He hasn't auditioned anywhere except here in 5 years. Even when he worked at Porthouse with me he didn't have to audition. He said he was pretty nervous but that it went well. We had both talked about going down there when they had this call but after I saw the season I was kind of like "ehhh" and never made an audition time. Chris didn't either, but since he is equity he can just stroll right in and they HAVE to see him. If there's any perk to being equity, that's it. Well, that and the better pay. And the not having to work more than 8 hours a day. And only having to be an actor, not an actor/slave laborer. (You'd be surprised how many theatres can get their non-equity actors to do this.) ANYWAY, he is considering take a non-equity contract here, but I don't know. I mean, it was my idea in the first place for him to find out about it, but it's just so depressing here. I don't think I can watch more people that I love lose their jobs and the rest of us have to work 12-hour days to make up for it. Plus, you know, *I* don't want to lose my job. If we left and went somewhere else, people would still be losing their jobs, but at least I wouldn't know them. It's harder when it's everyone you know. So..... I just don't know. I mean, for right now, we have jobs through March. My biggest fear is that Christmas is going to be HUGE at all the theatres in the country doing anything even remotely Christmas-y. People WILL spend extra money to be able to go and enjoy themselves.... but then the January numbers will be lower than they've ever been at every arts center in the world and it won't get better until people have jobs again and can afford to do things. Who KNOWS how long that will be. I am afraid a lot more theatres will have to close and even if you have a job lined up for whenever, you never know if it'll be taken away from you or even if you start a season and the theatre is forced to close in the middle of it.

Chris and I have decided to celebrate Christmas in January because of our money problems. I guess we're leaving up our decorations until then. This month has not felt even in the slightest way like it is Christmas, so it's no big deal. I miss Christmas. I wish it felt like Christmas.

In much, much better news, the preshow for Santaland starring me and Johnston is awesome. So far, we have had only minor playing screw-ups, one broken string and we seem to be more funny than annoying (knock on wood!!!) which is all I can ask for. Yesterday I realized a few things:
A. I am very high strung ("MY PICK FELL IN THE GUITAR!!!!!!!!!!!!"; or the fact that I actually screamed when Johnston broke the string)
B. Almost everything I say is improv'd. If, while speaking and making everything I say up, I can pronounce a multi-syllable word without adding extra letters, syllables or just tripping all over the entire phrase, I consider my life a success.
C. You can't sing soprano and chew gum at the same time. You can, however, chew gum, sing in your belt, and play guitar at the same time.
D. Johnston and I should start a vaudeville act because we work really well together, we harmonize really well together AND he is the George Burns to my complete Gracie Allen-ism.
E. I don't think vaudeville is still happening

SOOOO!! It's been so much fun and I was only half kidding when I told the audience yesterday, "This is the only joy I have in my life right now." I still have my Chris, so it is one of two joys. Speaking of my Chris, he takes over the role on Friday. John has had some really great audiences so I hope they continue for Chris. Oh.. hahaha... I did hear, however, that someone walked out during the middle of the show yesterday, offended, told the box office that "[i'm] going to shut this place down!" and walked back into the theatre to see the end of the show. I mean, first of all, I tell them during the preshow that it is an offensive show and that if they are offended, do NOT tell the box office (because the box office doesn't care). And secondly, he's going to shut us down???? Not if we get to us first, man!

No comments: