Friday, July 25, 2008

how unfortunate

Chris and I have never been to a concert together. Ok, well, we've been at the same concert at the same time (The Monkees played at Blossom in 1986 and I was there. I was three and a half years old at my first concert. Chris was also there. He was 15. I wonder if he saw the baby in the audience that he'd grow up to marry. Weird/creepy) but never together, which is strange because we both like music A LOT. I've made it my life's work to sing and Chris is quite musically gifted, too, if you didn't know.

When we actually realized we had never been to a concert together we were surprised. Ok, CHRIS was surprised, I've only been to 2 concerts since the Monkees so I was like, "Whatever." Chris has been to a million concerts, including "Mr. Big." He's got this whole, amazing past. It's so funny. ANYWAY, we've been looking, despite our extreme poverty, for concerts. As many of you know, a lot of my favorite artists released CDs this year and are now on tour, so it's been relatively easy. Aimee Mann is coming to Richmond on a Monday in September, Alanis will be in Charlottesville later in the month and the Avett Brothers will be there two days later. Who knows if we'll actually be able to go to these, but it's nice to know they're there.

And then there's Radiohead.

Radiohead is going a lot of places on tour, none of which are near me. They ARE going to Blossom, in Cuyahoga Falls, next Monday (which is actor day off) and the worst part is that Porthouse employees get in to all Blossom concerts for free. So if I had been working there this summer rather than 2 years ago I could have actually gone to the show and for FREE. That sucks. I'd love to see them. They're my favorite band (other than the Beatles, but most of the time I think that's a given).

In other music news, another person who is going to be at Blossom that I can't see is Ingrid Michaelson (and playing there with DMB. Killer) whose voice you probably heard on those Old Navy commercials ("if you are chilly/here take my sweater") or on that Grey's Anatomy show that I refuse to watch. I discovered her after reading Bethany's blog and it was nearly love at first listen. I'm always looking for new music so I look up nearly everyone I hear about. I downloaded her 2005 album and her voice is so sweet and pure and she just seems awesome. I actually got a little upset and thought that she made the album *I* would have made if I could play the piano well... or write a good song. A song that wasn't about vampires. Regardless, anyone who write a song about Charlie Brown wins by me and anyone who is a GREAT singer wins by me, too. She did both!

I have this one vendor for the gift shop who keeps bringing me free stuff. It is so AWESOME. :) She brings them to me for examples of products we could personalize for the ASC but after I show them to people their job is done... and if I didn't take them they'd just sit in the desk (since they're left overs from the other clients). I have gotten a really NICE water bottle, a travel mug, 3 reusable grocery bags, a sling back pack thing, a mouse pad, a flashlight, and some really nice magnets. It's pretty great. I love running the gift shop. I'm like a crazy person with the sales and inventory. I mean, I'd OBVIOUSLY rather be acting, but running the gift shop is a pretty okay consolation.

1 comment:

bethany said...

I'm madly in love with Ingrid. I'm glad you are too.