Sunday, November 23, 2008

this might be the year i hate christmas

This has been such a mixed week. Alyssa had a sore throat last weekend and she and Greg asked if I would sing her music for Lear and Measure again (which of course I did). Last Friday was Lear and at about 6:45pm (show starts at 7:30) Greg came up and asked if I would sing at intermission. I was the house manager that night but luckily Solomon didn't mind if I left for a little while. There was also a proposal on stage that night AND my friend/Playhouse Manager, Nash, was fired. We were all pretty upset about this happening. He's such a cool guy that he took it all in stride, but I don't know anyone who was happy about it.

I guess the rest of the weekend was okay... I sang again on Sunday, Johnston and I started a couple new songs for Santaland preshow and Monday I had off. Tuesday things started falling apart with one of our reports (and our box office manager is on vacation), Thursday was the all-time worst day I've ever had at a job. Our school matinee was oversold by about 30 students and we had 50 standing. It was SO HOT in the theatre and there were literally kids everywhere--sitting on the banisters in the balcony (we had to get them off), in the aisles, some just sat in the lobby for half the show. Emily and I both had to sell drinks at the intermissions and we don't have enough staff anymore to have someone else in the box office so Kristie had to be at the gift shop (and she doesn't even work in the box office) while Mary, whose last day was a week ago (and who also hadn't worked in the box office in about 6 months) came in to help for free. Then, in the middle of the show, all this beer got delivered and then 7 boxes of t-shirts for me to inventory, fold and put away. As soon as the show got out I had to go talk to tech support for the problem we were having with our reports but I had NO IDEA what to do because I don't know any of the information they needed. I kept having to call other people to ask questions and get info. It was so stupid. When Christina got in she was on the phone with tech support and I had to start the t-shirt inventory. I couldn't take a lunch and I was there for half an hour longer than I was scheduled and I was so sad and tired. I had to finish the shirts the next day (which started out as a GREAT day and then ended up just as stupid and ridiculous as the day before, in a completely different way).

So, yesterday, my Chris, Johnston, his fiance Lindsey and I all did this silly caroling thing in downtown for the Holiday Open House. We dressed in costumes from Christmas Carol and sang very religious carols (and some not-so religious carols) and all of this was happening a week before Thanksgiving. It was freezing outside but Chris and I bought long underwear and we had a ton of layers on from the costume so except for everyone's toes, we were mainly okay. We sang for about 2 hours and then I couldn't speak in anything but my head voice again. It was fine, though... no one made fun of us and children seemed to like it. We saw Doreen, JP and baby Olive and Olive was starring at us like her life depended on it.

This week has been really cold and we can't use the heater in our bedroom because it just doesn't work right. You have to turn it up really high and then it will only run for a little while and then it will click for HOURS. I can't deal with the clicking at night so we just stopped using it. So, obviously, it's really cold in our bedroom. Like 60 degrees in the daytime, colder at night. It also doesn't get much sunlight so it never gets a chance to be warm. We need a space heater but we can't afford one. We also can't run our humidifer because it's a cool mist and it makes it even colder.

I bought my Christmas tree this week. I got it for $25 from Target. It's not very big but I think it will be okay. I want to do blue, silver and gold/"champagne" ornaments only. We set it up but it's just sitting in the corner where the guitars used to be until we get back from Ohio on Friday. I won't start really decoarting it YET... although I will start listening to Christmas music as soon as i-tunes finishes installing the new version.

Tonight is the usher/actor Thanksgiving and I am really excited!! I know the ushers a lot better from working in the box office and in all honesty, that has been the only rewarding part of working in the box office. So many of them are just nice and funny people who are really supportive of the theatre. I like them a lot.

We are leaving tomorrow for OHIO! Thank God. We're driving Ginna's car up to Bethesda, picking her up from her last stop on tour for this leg, driving to Columbus, staying at her parent's house for the night and then Chris's mom will pick us up in the morning on Tuesday. This way we are able to only have to rent a car to get back to Virginia and save some money but I do wish we could have left today after the matinee and get in really late instead of getting in on Tuesday. Originally the Thanksgiving break seemed a lot longer. We have to leave on Friday but we can go at a reasonable time and still stop by and visit my Grandma. I won't be able to go home for Christmas (the reason why isn't even worth it anymore) so I'll have to make the best out of Thanksgiving.

I'm just loads of joy right now. Well, I did have a conversation that went like this today:

Chris: Are you quackers for crackers?
Me: No
Chris: Are you crackers for quackers?
Me: No.
Chris: Are you crackers for crackers?
Me: No.
Chris: Are you quackers for quackers?
Me: No.
Chris: What if I'm a quacker?
Me: YOU'RE NOT A QUACKER, YOU'RE A DOG!

No comments: