Tuesday, July 07, 2009

So, I am back in Staunton and back to work. I am freaking out a little bit right now because I don't think I'll be getting as many bartending shifts the rest of the summer and I'm only going to be working in the costume shop for a couple of weeks so... you know... money is on my mind. I keep thinking there is some kind of imaginary job I can get, but there isn't. I suppose we could play our guitars on the street and hope people give us tips but that's unlikely. Chris is talking about moving back into company housing. I would be able to go for a while but we really would miss having our own apartment. It would save a lot of money, though. I wonder what will happen!

The show went really well. I REALLY liked working for that company and I have no complaints about anything. Our housing was great, the theatre was great, the stage managers and director were great and the cast was great. I am still not a fan of the musical "Oliver!" but I had fun every single time I was on stage. I got to dance a lot and I became friends with a lot of girls in the cast. The best part about THAT is that it's really hard for me to make friends with girls, in general. I just have a lot more guy friends but I told myself I HAD to become friends with girls during this contract and I did! I was happy and I like them a lot. Hopefully we keep in touch. I was sad to leave.

...however, just last night Chris and I returned to watch the second show in the season, Pump Boys and Dinettes. I've heard about this show forever and know that both of us would be perfect in it, but neither of us had seen it before. We loved it! It was so entertaining. I am hoping we can get over there at least once more to see Little Shop but I'd also like to see On Golden Pond.

I also watched a dress run of Titus Andronicus on Sunday here at the theatre. I like this play. It's totally nuts and messed up but it's good. It's not Shakespeare's best, but it is not annoying in any way and you really feel for the characters. I didn't even FEEL for King Lear last year and that play IS considered Shakespeare's best. I mean, maybe that's just me... it seems like other people had sympathy for him. But not me.

I have been reading a ton of plays the last month. Unfortunately I don't have a single new monologue to use yet. I have one that is an option, but I'm not sure if it's great or even usable. This process is annoying. I wish there were some kind of database that would give you a list of all the characters you're in the same age range for so you could have things narrowed down a little. I guess it's a good idea to read plays anyway... if I'm not going to, who is?... but, you know, right NOW if there's no role for me in it, I don't have time for it.

This town is weird and even though I hated it before I lived there for a while, I miss Charlottesville. I told one of my friends the other day "I would say Staunton is like Charlottesville's little sister, but it's not. It's more like Charlottesville's kind-of friend who really wants to be JUST LIKE Charlottesville."

I will have more positive things to say at a later date.

1 comment:

A Quiet Man with a Loud Voice said...

Hmm. *mind churning*

Monologue Database - would just list name of characters, script, author, age-range, type...

Can't use the actual monologue (unless it's an old play) due to copyrights...

Even so -- this is a good idea. Time to brush off my .html skills and see if this is feasible.