Tuesday, August 11, 2009

... and NOW it's just time travel

So, in other news, last night I wrote a note that said, "Hello from the past! If you're reading this note and time travel is possible in the world you live in, please come visit us. We just baked chocolate chip cookies and we're willing to share as long as you don't hurt us or something." and put it inside a big book. I asked them to come at 12:30am last night... but no one showed. So, either the book or note became lost in the future or time travel isn't possible. OR, maybe they DID come and I just couldn't see them. I heard somewhere (and by "heard somewhere" I mean saw it in that movie, What the Bleep Do We Know?) that the way our brain is wired we can only see things that we believe are possible. So maybe I didn't REALLY BELIEVE that anyone from the future would would come here. I'm sure our landlord would have been angry if they did, anyway. (Yes, I did steal this idea from the Time Traveler Convention held in 2005. Yes, maybe I should have learned that it wasn't possible after no one showed up to their party. HOWEVER, Chris and I are a lot more low key. We wouldn't bombard them with questions. Well, maybe we would, but it would be less damning. Plus... free cookies.)

I wish time travel WAS possible. I would have asked the guy/girl to go back to May 2008 and told us we definitely did NOT want to live in the apartment we're living in. That's all I would ask. I wonder where we would have lived in this alternate universe.... somewhere mysterious.

1 comment:

A Quiet Man with a Loud Voice said...

Read up on Schrodingers Cat and Quantum Immortality/Suicide (simple.wikipedia.org is good for this).

It will blow your mind when you realize that Time Travel is absolutely possible - only that THIS particular version of you isn't the version of you that receives the visitors seeking cookies. Also there are an infinite different versions of you (there's probably a crackhead Alisa that lives in Seattle in an alternate universe).

My mind is not what it used to be once I realized that there is a Cleric out there rich and successful and a crime kingpin.