Wednesday, June 02, 2010

it's to keep you safe

I want to go on a night-time walk but I can't do it alone because it's too scary for me. I live in like the safest part of the safest neighborhood in the safest borough and I walk at night all the time, but TONIGHT... it's too scary. BooooooooooooOOOOOOOooooooooo.

I just re-cleaned the kitchen. Sometimes when you* "clean" it it's not ACTUALLY clean. I guess Ellen's subletter is coming tomorrow. I can't remember her name but I hope she doesn't write lipstick messages to herself in the bathroom mirror like this one subletter in California. I can't remember THAT girl's name, either. Do you know that Chris and I have been subletting since October? We're scheduled to move out on August 1st. I am really excited to get our own place (again). There are TWO of us subletting a room with THREE PEOPLE'S STUFF IN IT! If this other stuff were not here, we'd be SO much happier. I think we would have actually been able to bring our couch. This room isn't HUGE but it would have been big enough for a couch or at LEAST a chair. I want you to know that I have spent the last, like, 8 months or whatever ONLY sitting on my bed or the floor. To eat, to write, you name it. Chris brought a folding chair and tiny folding table but now that folding table has the fan on it. Ok, listen. Once in a while I'll sit in the kitchen. Only once in a while, though, because Chris and I are very private at home and we don't like to get in the way or bother people.

Thankfully, the one thing we DO have in our little room is an air conditioner (thanks, ENTIRELY, to my sister) because dear god did we need it. Early in April it was 94 degrees one day and like 80 the surrounding days. It was so hot in here I can't even begin to explain it. If we had no room and it was 90 degrees IN the room, we'd be so angry and miserable. Luckily, we are the one cool place in what might be mistaken for Hell.

But, like I said, we are really looking forward to getting our own apartment and I really hope we have enough money for it because... if we don't.... well... I don't know what will happen. I am hoping to move up to Ditmars Ave because it's just 2 train stops away but it's the LAST train stop, which means that the train would always be waiting in the station and you'd never be left wondering where it was. ALSO, it's really, really close to the park. ALSO AGAIN, there is a grocery store AND A STARBUCKS RIGHT OUTSIDE THE TRAIN STATION. It's like.... the best place ever. Other options include:
  • 30th Ave. Where we already live
  • Broadway (in Astoria)
  • Astoria Blvd
  • Long Island City
  • Sunnyside
  • Inwood
Yes, Inwood/Washington Heights is the furthest down on the list of places I'd want us to move but would actually kind of enjoy living in (otherwise known as "places we can afford to live"). I don't know why all the Kent kids want to live in Washington Heights. It is SO FAR away from everything (except the BRONX)! Yes, Jessica and Beth have a beautiful apartment in a great neighborhood, but I'd still rather live in Astoria. Even though I HATE the N train, it's still the best train. Plus, the subways run above ground here and it's wonderful! You don't feel like a mole person all of the time. No part of me wants to live in Brooklyn. Brooklyn is a place you visit.... you don't live there. Unless you live in Brooklyn Heights (which is amazing) but you have to make a ton of money to live in Brooklyn Heights.

Target has some really cute clothes right now. They're very flowery.

Chris needed me to go buy him some "safety underwear" today. If you don't know, "safety underwear" is underwear you wear UNDERNEATH costume boxers for when you are going to be "pantsed" in a play..... because what if they accidentally (or on purpose) grab the boxers, also? You don't want that. I'm trying not to use plastic bags, like, ever, anymore, so I just put them in my flowery tote bag. Then, when I gave them to him, I did it at 42nd street and 8th Ave and he had to walk all the way back to Theatre Row with a package of underwear in his hands and nothing to conceal it. Hahahahahaha! I don't know why I'm laughing. He wasn't embarrassed and it's not like I did it out of spite.

I am literally working the entire day on Sunday. Literally. 8am - 10:30pm. I am going to get paid for more than half of the 24 hour day on Sunday. It is going to SUCK.

I think all the people in NYC should be required to bring a mini stick of deodorant with them at all times in the summer. It is necessary!



*"you" denotes not me

No comments: